Retailers refer to today — the day after Thanksgiving — as Black Friday. They hope to end up "in the black" — bad economy notwithstanding — as a result of the shopping frenzy that takes over the country year after year when people wake up from their turkey stupors, credit cards in hand, raring to spend some dough.
For those of you who have movie-lovers on your shopping lists, let me offer a few gift suggestions. Yes, some of these are strange — or maybe a better word is "unique" — but, let’s be honest… chances are that anyone who’s a hard-core film fanatic is already a little bit goofy.
- Movie-inspired t-shirts: You might have to do a little digging, but a good place to start is here on Café Press. Or here. Or if they’re like our dear writer Locke and are a sucker for puns and word-twists (and also happen to be vegetarian), then one of these tees is a must! Finally, any child of the ’80s would surely love to don a retro movie shirt, no?
- Any drama queens or kings in the family? Perhaps they deserve an "Oscer"!
- What Bond fan wouldn’t appreciate a spy gadget or two?
- At Sideshow Collectibles, there are tons of replicas and figurines to win the hearts of any comic book geek. I’m talking $200 Iron Man busts – awwww, yeah!
- Anyone who’s ever looked through a SkyMall catalog while traveling knows that they offer awesome Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings and Star Wars memorabilia, in addition to a wide array of other unusual movie-related gifts. An Indiana Jones bullwhip? Check! A Batman Begins cane-sword? Check!
If all else fails, you can always enable your favorite movie fan to "take the show on the road," literally, with a portable DVD player.
Now get to shopping!